Saturday, September 4, 2010

Oregon Coast with Heceta Head in the Distance

Heceta Head's light first shone in March of 1894, 205 feet above sea level and visible for over 21 miles. One thousand barrels of blasting powder were required to create a flat table on the rocky cliffs. Heceta remained an extremely isolated outpost until the 1930's when road crews arrived with their families and tents to construct Route 101, the Pacific Coast Highway.

The area is named for Captain Don Bruno de Heceta of the Spanish Royal Navy, an explorer whose expedition passed along the Oregon coast around 1775.

No comments: